Skip to main content

The Embers of Celebration - Eros and Eros Flame by Versace

I recently had a birthday, my 30th to be exact. It was properly celebrated between my wife and me, escaping the uncomfortably chilly and wet air of this New Jersey winter and opting for the sunny warmth of the Caribbean. I spent my January birthday swimming with fishes in the ocean, partying, and consuming an absurd amount of food and alcohol with my wife. It was a day I will never forget.

As a fragrance enthusiast, I have gotten into the habit of wearing certain scents on special occasions to create and enhance the memories of the day. When my enthusiast journey began upon receipt of a Versace Eros gift set from my wife (then fiancée) during Christmas of 2020, Eros immediately became my go-to special occasion fragrance. After wearing it for my 28th birthday dinner just a couple of weeks after Christmas, it became cemented as the fragrance I would wear for each birthday going forward.

Versace Eros (Eau de Toilette), with its incredible balancing act of minty freshness and warm, vanillic sweetness can be both boisterous and alluring. It is linear and does not change much in terms of its scent profile in the hours after application, but it does not need to. It is a fragrance that knows what it is and has no desire to be anything more. If you like it, great. If you do not, too bad. It is this quality that makes it a perfect scent for a celebration of the self. I typically describe myself as reserved in persona, but a bit more expressive in my physical appearance. The one day a year that is, in my mind, all about me is the perfect occasion to tap into even more expression.

Fragrance influencers will cry that Versace Eros is both common and immature. To them I say: if you are that concerned about other people in a population of billions owning the same scent as you, you are strange. Also, few things are as subjective as “maturity.” The point is to wear the fragrance, not be worn by it, and it is as mature as the wearer wants it to be. My 29th birthday was celebrated in Philadelphia with a museum trip and dinner. That morning I completed my outfit of the day with a few sprays of Eros. I felt confident and unwavering as I strolled through the city observing the art and architecture. I knew that no matter how old I got, Eros would be with me to celebrate.

As 30 approached, I knew it had to be different from local dinners, or day trips to neighboring cities. As a milestone year, I didn’t want it to be spent in the United States. For my wife’s 30th birthday in May of 2022, we celebrated in Mexico. She decided to return the favor by taking me to the Dominican Republic (her birth country) for my January 2023 birthday.

Every birthday before this one was spent in the cold. Being born and raised in the midwest, and choosing to move to the east coast just a few years ago, I did not think a warm, tropical birthday was even possible. A major question came about internally at the prospect: what fragrance should I wear?

Despite the fresh top notes of mint, green apple, and lemon, the added prominent sweetness from notes like ambroxan, vanilla, and tonka bean make Versace Eros entirely too cloying for me to enjoy in warm temperatures. There are sweeter fragrances that do work in warm weather such as Rasasi Hawas, Invictus Aqua, or 1 Million Lucky, but these all have aquatic or ozonic elements central to their composition, things you will not find in Eros. Would I have to break my commitment to wearing Eros each birthday, or sacrifice my comfort and nostrils for the sake of tradition? Thankfully, I found the loophole.

On the day of my wedding, my groomsmen gifted me a bottle of Versace Eros Flame, the first flanker in the Eros line. Admittedly, I was curious about it but unwilling to purchase a full bottle as many people had warned that it was quite redundant to the original. Upon the first sniff, I realized that those people were correct.

The makeup of Eros Flame appeared to be an almost exact recreation of the original formula with a few different top notes and a shift in the oil concentration (Eros Flame is an Eau de Parfum whereas the original Eros is an Eau de Toilette). Flame replaces the notes of apple and mint with mandarin orange, black pepper, and rosemary, creating something I described in a previous Fragrantica review as “more versatile, but less interesting.” I have not changed my mind about this assessment, not entirely, but I can not deny the benefit of added versatility.

Eros Flame is still very sweet and great to wear in the colder months, but the added orange top note with the sweet vanillic base creates a sense of freshness that reminds me of an orange creamsicle. With the right application, it can be worn comfortably across seasons and occasions.

Photo by Shayna Douglas

Yet, it still possesses many of the same personality quirks of the original Eros, whilst being slightly more calm and flexible in its identity. The braggadocious quality is still there, but its claims are more grounded, and it always cites its sources. It is the larger-than-life quality of the original Eros that makes it the more interesting to my nose, but more interesting does not mean better.

It is the closeness between the two fragrances with those key points of divergence that made it the perfect choice for my 30th birthday in the Caribbean. Winter in the Dominican Republic is noticeably chillier than the summer months, and by that, I mean the average temperature drops from the high 90s to an average of 85 on a sunny day. We experienced scattered rain during the evenings and cool breezes to offset the intensity of the daytime sun. 

After a day of snorkeling, drinking, and partying, I showered and dressed for the evening, finishing my ensemble with a few sprays of Eros Flame before my wife and I went out for our scheduled dinner. The magic I felt during my previous birthdays wearing the Eros DNA with my favorite person in the world was present once again, but slightly evolved. I was in a different place both physically and emotionally. I was a newly married man, and beginning the third decade of my life. Because of this, Eros Flame would act as a conduit for major memories going forward.

Do I still think the original Eros and Eros Flame are redundant to one another? Potentially, it depends on your needs and desires. They are perhaps too close for comfort, and I doubt I would have ever pulled the trigger on a bottle of Flame myself after sampling it, but I’m thankful to my friends for making that decision for me. The original will still take precedence for my future birthdays in the cold weather, but when it reaches its limits, Flame will be there to continue the journey.

-The Fragrance Maven

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Ascension by Savoir Faire

Perhaps one of my favorite songs of all time is  Ascension  by Maxwell. It's the way that the opening bass line grooves around a foundational upbeat tempo created by tried and true percussion rhythms. Layers of sound broaden the scope of the song with the addition of bongos, a guitar, keyboards, and synthesizers until finally, Maxwell's voice ties it all together with a falsetto note delivered from the heavens.  Ascension  is one of those songs that is guaranteed to get me on the dance floor hitting a two-step and flowing like tides pulled by the moon.  While I'm not completely certain that  Ascension , a fragrance by the Black-owned company Savoir Faire, took its name from the classic tune, I would be shocked if that wasn't the case at all. Ascension embodies the notion of "soul" similar to Savoir Faire's other popular offering  Soul Cafe  (future review), but takes a significantly lighter and more ethereal approach. Featuring notes of bergamot, black pep

Leaving Things Behind: New Years De-Cluttering

Not long ago, I wrote about my relatively large collection and the desire to downsize, and accepting the realities that come with the act of collecting throughout the years. Ironically, my collection has since grown. But what would be a better follow up to that than a post that actually explores my process of thinning out and making room in my collection? There are four fragrances that I intend to part with for reasons ranging from general redundancies to shortcomings in quality. But instead of simply just selling them and moving on, I wanted the opportunity to revisit and archive them in this space, as most of them are special to me in some way or another. Paper (Expressive) by Commodity When I said "most of them are special to me," I wasn't talking about this one. I still don't really know how to feel about the whole "fragrances that smell like nothing" trend. My gut tells me that it's rather pointless, but there are audiences for this kind of thing.

If You Like By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela, Try These 5 (Really, 6) Fragrances

The end of winter draws closer (it is technically already spring even if it does not feel like it). I figured that now would be a good time to discuss one of the more popular winter scents in my online and real-world social circles: By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela. More specifically, I would like to put together a recommendation list for fans of BTF who are looking to expand their horizons or take that "next step" in their fragrance journey. Several fragrance content creators and influencers have done recommendation lists, taking one popular fragrance and listing similar things that people might enjoy. Personally, I am a fan of The Fragrance Apprentice's "If You Like _____, then You Might Like These 5 Fragrances" series on YouTube, so I will be borrowing that format for this discussion. No, I did not and will not ask for permission, please go touch grass. We will be covering five different categories for these recommendations. 1. Clone - A fragrance that is